Africa, Statehood et al
Firstly, let me say that I believe that it has been bad/corrupt leadership, beyond anything else, that has caused the current plight of Africa (unless you want to go back to the colonial "Scramble of Africa" - but that's now ancient history) and not a lack of African identity with the post-colonial/independance boundaries. Sure there were arbitary boundaries drawn and many across tribal areas and sure there are still many border/boundary disputes but, in the main, Africa has comprehensively embraced the state concept as "served up" by the former "colonial masters". Of course, the new states initially lacked internal cohesiveness and there were differences and antagonisms among various tribes, which gave the first generation of African leaders challenges which they were ill-equipped to deal with (before, in many cases, their own corruption). I know that the Organization of African Unity accepted the colonial boundaries under the doctrine of uti possidetis ("as you hold possession by right") and that pragmatically they had little choice for fear of opening a "Pandora's Box". And I know that the poorly defined and sometimes controversial borders have contributed to conflict in Africa and this has made it difficult to build "national" identities but the vast majority of the many Africans I have worked and lived with would identify themselves by their country first. Not religion. Not even tribe. And not even by colour. I know that many people say that many African countries exist in name only and their appearance on maps is the only thing coherent about them! I disagree but I do agree with Kofi Annan who once said about Africa, "let us be careful not to mistake hope for achievement". Today some people say that there is not even much hope left for Africa as it falls further and further behind the rest of the world. Again, I disagree. And furthermore, the role of Western nations in the affairs of Africa have not only been one of disappointment and incompetence but also has often been insulting, condescending and often verging on racist. It has as well been malicious, since it was based almost entirely on imperial, colonial or Cold War interests. Now is the time to redress this but haven't so many leaders being saying that for too long. The rhetoric is fine now let's see the action.


2 Comments:
It's disappointing, to say the least, that the current government, having identified Africa as a 'scar on the consciences of the world' seem to have done so little in concrete terms to address its problems. Yes, there was Sierra Leone (Blair's recent visit was designed to remind us of that) but set against that are enduring problems of famine, HIV/AIDS, not to mention Sudan, Zimbabwe, etc... etc.
The current situation in Africa is a travesty, and it would seem that the West is ignoring it because they can, which in itself is shameful. I wonder if people would demand that the Western world help Africa if the media focused more in on the current situation rather than whether or not Paris Hilton had a breakdown because she was without her blackberry and hair extentions for too long.
Post a Comment
<< Home