My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, September 14, 2006

E Tutor of the Year!

Hi Everyone,

Did you realize that David Betz et al came second in the E Tutor of the Year awards? Nor did I until today as they kept it very, very quiet!!! Many congratulations but I'd like to know who came first!

Pip

4 Comments:

Blogger Pip Leighton said...

Thanks Steve - I checked out the website and note that the winner gets "Dr" before his name but it's just poor old "David" in the runners up slot. Good effort though and 250 quid to boot!

3:51 PM  
Blogger David J. Betz said...

It's good of you to notice, Pip. We'll try to come in first next time. I don't know anything about the fellow who won. The money was nice--I've spent it on books. Just reading The War for Muslim Minds.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Pip Leighton said...

The War for Muslim Minds ... if it's a good book then probably a "must read". Certainly, the subject is essential, just like "What Terrorists Want, Understanding the Enemy, Containing the Threat" by Louise Richardson (Although I don't like the use of the word enemy). She talks about it all being about understanding the motives, fears and capabilities of the terrorists and then trying to defeat them by empowering and legitimizing the non violent moderates and thus isolating the terrorist. I agree but easier said than done.

I do see that even the Pope has now upset the Muslims community!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Nick Dymond said...

I suspect that the key to defeating this particular 'enemy' might be in doing so in such a manner that they do not realise they have been defeated.
However, what with our military history being so steeped in the desire for state dominance, the current fashion for all things shock and awe and the intuitive attraction of realist theory, this 'defeat' may not be seen for generations of Western leaders.
Pip is right of course, the term 'enemy' is, like 'defeat' and 'war', inappropriate today. These terms are technical jargon with clearly defined definitions. Until we get away from pigeon-holing everything into an inappropriate strategic doctrinal template, we're on a hiding to nothing.
It's a lot more fun though.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home