My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Down Time

It's been a while since I posted on my blog but I have just read Prof Theo's blog and seen that he made a post on Sunday (it's now Wednesday!) saying that he was too busy writing the last chapter of his book to be able to do ... well to do a whole lot of things ...I then I find that there have been a staggering 38, yes 38, responses/counter responses/etc! Must be a record? This discovery as well as something Nick Diamond wrote on his blog recently about "quantity having a quality of its own" or sometihng, like that made me realize that there is a danger of the information load spiralling uncontrolably out of control. How does one sort the wheat from the chaff (sp?) or see the wood for the tress? Even our discussion threads this term seem to be breaking new records vis a vis quantity - although, I have to say, they are of a much higher quality than last year - dare I suggest because we have got rid of all the Brit Army types (my own former existence suitably ignored!). I even find that my library of books, articles is also spirraling out of control. Gone are the days when I only had Calvocoressi to keep me company (and that's not a glass of Cognac as Nick once compared it to).

My point is that, even with David's great advice on reading, my brain, and I have no difficulty admitting this, is straining! That said, I am thinking about writing a book...!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger David J. Betz said...

I'm afraid that there's no escape from the 'datafall' (my own neologism). We should all try to get better at filtering, prioritizing, scanning. However, there's a limit. At a certain point one's efforts to keep abreast of all the information start to eat in to the time you have to do something with it (ie., think about it in some useful way). At which point it's time to put the books down and go for a walk. A professor of mine used to say 'thinking is research too!' Strange to have to say it.

'I am thinking about writing a book...!!!!'

Oh no, we've created a monster! I promise to review it.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home